The 4DCity application is currently being developed at the Chair of Digital Humanities at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena and as such one of the use cases within the 5Dculture project. With this application, users can essentially transport themselves into the past and e...
The 5Dculture project
What we do and why it is important.
- Fashion Collections - exploring the creation of a more engaging and immersive museum experience for fashion heritage. Read more
- Archaeological 3D Content - to explore how 3D content enhances visitors experience of archaeological monuments and evaluate the creation of different 3D surrogates and the value these have for different sectors (tourism, education, gaming, the arts, conservation and heritage management). Read more
- Historic Buildings and Cityscapes - to provide scenarios, content and tools to create 3D related applications particularly for historic buildings / cityscapes for virtual cultural tourism, research and education
- Identify and deliver high-quality 3D content by examining and, when needed, enhancing existing datasets from partners’ collections and Europeana around the topics of fashion, architecture and archaeology
- Demonstrate 8 different reuse scenarios which will experiment with the aforementioned assets in their complexity (from high-quality to derivatives) in a particular domain (e.g. education, tourism, museums)
- Deploy relevant AI and machine-learning tools for categorising and processing 3D assets and making them shareable, linkable and easily accessible, and creating a Community of Practice (CoP) for tools that can be used in order to enable 3D content reuse
- Create and promote capacity building materials and activities to equip cultural heritage institutions with the necessary knowledge and skills for a wider uptake of 3D technologies and ignite the reuse of their 3D cultural assets
- Make the results of the projects well known to all stakeholders in the value chain (cultural heritage organisations and staff, creative industry professionals, educational actors, researchers and innovators, policy makers)
From the blog
Interesting articles and news about the project
Our project partners Centraal Museum Utrecht (CMU) and European Fashion Heritage Association (EFHA) jointly organised this year's international conference of the Association under the title "Future Heritage". The conference wants to look at new technologies and how these are bein...
ISPRS (International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing) and CIPA (International Committee of Architectural Photogrammetry) are hosting the 10th issue of their international workshop in Siena, 21-23 February 2024. The major topic of the 2024 edition of the workshop wil...